Book: The Raptor & the Wren by Chuck Wendig

Miriam Black is a foul-mouthed young woman with a peculiar ability. She can see can see how you're going to die. The Miriam Black series is a series of novels about Miriam's many exploits. In the beginning, Miriam uses her ability to follow people she knows are about to die so she can steal their stuff. Pretty good racket it if you can get it.

Problem is, something in the universe has it out for Miriam.

And of course you can only steal from the dead for so long. Eventually someone's going to see you, someone's going to figure it out. Or... if you've got even a hint of a conscious, eventually, you're going to see someone die and try to actually do something about it.

Yesterday, the fifth book in the series, The Raptor & the Wren, was released. And I aim to finish it pretty quickly.

The Miriam Black series is quite possibly my favorite series on planet Earth. There's something about this extreme anti-hero doing her best to refuse both her abilities and the chance to do anything redeemable with them. And yet somehow she still manages not to completely fuck everything up. Also, I'll admit that her ability to be completely irreverent and angry and foul-mouthed at every opportunity really appeals to me.

What can I say? I like bad girls.

Really, I like that she holds on to who she is against all odds. Her attitude is part of what makes her effective. And honestly, we don't get many heroes who actually use language like a real person. It's too clean, too distilled. Everything about Miriam is a fucking mess.

And I love her.

I highly recommend, if you've never heard of the Miriam Black series, to check it out. The books move fast, you'll finish them before you know it and I envy you, getting to start fresh from the beginning. Get to it and then join me at book five, The Raptor & the Wren. Then you can wait impatiently with me for book six, Vultures, when it comes out next year.

Of course, you don't have to take my word for it.

(Oh and if you're feeling really lucky, check out this giveaway from Tor Books.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nailed It: pure distilled schadenfreude in a 30 minute baking show

Tomb Raider 2018; no-spoiler review except this spoiler: I loved it

Pacific Rim: Uprising spoiler-free review