GCF: Podcast -- I am a C. I am a C.H.

A little while back I discovered the podcast, Good Christian Fun.

According to their website:
Good Christian Fun is a podcast delving into the strange upside-down world of Christian pop culture. Hosts Kevin T. Porter and Caroline Ely are your tour guides through the weird and hilarious world of faith-based entertainment. GCF is a show for skeptics and believers alike, all are welcome. 
Don’t worry, we won’t make you go to church ;) 
Let's have some good Christian fun!
Typically, I tend to stay away from all things church-based, but I'm also a bit of a masochist, so I thought it might be worth a try, given their description. Plus, while I didn't listen to the Gilmore Guys podcast Kevin Porter previously hosted, I never heard anything but good things about it.

Cue: Me laughing out loud at work, dying at the memories this podcast has dredged up that I would've previously been loathe to relive. Instead, Kevin and Caroline do hold up their end of the bargain. What they provide is a good time and lots of laughs about the weird and often absurd world of Christian entertainment. Even for me, who went to a church too strict to enjoy many of the things they address in the current 18 episodes, there's been something in everything I can relate to in all of them.

In fact, I spent the better part of last week remembering the awful, but catchy, kiddie Christian songs that they taught us little kids in Sunday School. The absurdity of them is laughable now, but what's even more hilarious (and perhaps troubling from an atheist's perspective) is how universal and resilient these songs are. They're the eternal earworm. Not only did I remember them, but I remembered all the words and often the hand movements or "dances" (we didn't dance, but the few movements could barely be called a dance) that went with them.

I brought up one of them at work and all but one person on my team was able to remember the song word for word. (The last one gets a pass because she didn't grow up in the States.) And it wasn't just one song it was more than a handful of songs that we memorized at Sunday School or V.B.S or Church Camp.

It only took me an episode to realize that this was a podcast I was going to turn to every week for an hour an a half or more of laughs and maybe a more fun spin on subjects that aren't particularly happy memories for me. It definitely puts them in a different light, and lets me enjoy them in some way. For that, I'm grateful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nailed It: pure distilled schadenfreude in a 30 minute baking show

Tomb Raider 2018; no-spoiler review except this spoiler: I loved it

Pacific Rim: Uprising spoiler-free review