Music: Tank and the Bangas; NPR Music Tiny Desk Concert

I think you have to have been living under a rock not to know what the NPR Music Tiny Desk Concerts art. So you don't need me to explain how good they can be to find new music or to see good indie musicians do what they do in an intimate setting. And the setlist isn't tight or too defined, the musicians can talk or riff or whatever makes them feel the music or connected to the small audience in the office at the time. I'm not an NPR fan and I don't watch every new Tiny Desk video when it goes up, but every now and again something will catch my eye.

Last year's winner of the Tiny Desk Contest was a band called Tank and the Bangas. The video went up pretty much a year ago yesterday and it's 20+ minutes of good fun. Their music is hip hop soul with a big voice and really hefty lyrics. I fell in love pretty much immediately, listened to all the songs I could find and then sent the video out to all of my friends.

They were in town for a Tedx youth conference recently and I'm kicking myself for not knowing. I would've loved the chance to see them perform in person. But I'll settle for watching this video over again a few more times.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nailed It: pure distilled schadenfreude in a 30 minute baking show

Tomb Raider 2018; no-spoiler review except this spoiler: I loved it

Pacific Rim: Uprising spoiler-free review