Music: Rolling in the Deep by Adele (Cover by Scary Pockets with Sarah Dugas)

As big of a fan as I am of music, I'm not the sort of person that hates on covers. Obviously I've recommended at least one here before. But lest that not accurately portray my love of covers, let me make it clear here and now. I LOVE covers, even bad ones, even cheesy ones. I love hearing someone else's take on music I know really, really well. Sometimes they bring a sound to the music that I find interesting, sometimes they change the music in a way that brings out lyrics I hadn't noticed before, sometimes it's just a new way for me to fall in love with the song all over again. Sure, not ever cover is great and I might just listen to it once and pass by. But sometimes I might decide that I like the cover better than original. It's all good in the cover game.

So then let me tell you how much I love Scary Pockets. They're a funk band doing what Scott Bradlee did with Postmodern Jukebox (if you ask who? um... go figure that out and come back to me). They're taking popular songs and make funk covers out of them. And listen, if you're not into funk music, or maybe if you're not sure if you like funk music, Scary Pockets is a good way to check it out. I mean some of the 'funk' is questionably true funk, but listen... they're doing good at what they're doing.

Plus, they're giving all these great voices a chance to shine by not having one official Scary Pockets vocalist. 

Their most recent video is Rolling in the Deep by Adele, but funkified. The singer, Sarah Dugas, has an amazing voice and does the song justice. It's worth a listen. 


HOWEVER, that's not what I want to leave you with. While that's good and shows you where they are now, I want to show you one of the ones I love the very most. Darren Chriss (of Team Starkid and Glee fame) has sang for them a few times. And the below is my favorite, a cover of Wonderwall by Oasis. Give it a listen and then check out the rest of what Scary Pockets has for you. If YouTube isn't your thing, they're on iTunes and Google Play and Spotify too. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nailed It: pure distilled schadenfreude in a 30 minute baking show

Pacific Rim: Uprising spoiler-free review

Tomb Raider 2018; no-spoiler review except this spoiler: I loved it