Music: Fall Out Boy -- Church & Rolling Stone's "Levels" Breakdown

I've already written about how much I love the new Fall Out Boy album and specifically the song, "Champion". I don't want to spend a bunch of time talking about all the songs on the album that I am loving, especially since every time I listen to it all the way through I'm finding something new I like. Some of the songs didn't strike me at first but have definitely become more interesting and enjoyable upon repeated listening.

However, more than any other songs on the album, even more than "Champion", I love the songs "Church" and "Heaven's Gate". I have a strong affinity for media that works with Christian mythologies and symbolism. Both songs heavily rely on Christian or church themes to talk about love. Plus, they're just pretty enjoyable pop songs, with catchy lyrics and melodies. I have a hard time getting either of them out of my head once I've started listening.

But instead of going in-depth about the songs themselves, because I'm not about to breakdown the lyrics or anything like that, I thought I'd share this video I found from Rolling Stone's series, Levels. In it, Patrick Stump gives an interesting look at the musical makeup of "Church".

As much as I love lyrical analysis, I also really enjoy listening to artists talk about the process (both pre- and post- studio work) of putting a song together. I especially enjoyed learning about how a song can progress from Patrick's original, which was more of a downer, to the finished version. If you're a bit of a music nerd like me, check it out.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nailed It: pure distilled schadenfreude in a 30 minute baking show

Pacific Rim: Uprising spoiler-free review

Tomb Raider 2018; no-spoiler review except this spoiler: I loved it