Orchestra Book Tag

Eve at Twist in the Taile has created the Orchestra book tag that looks really fun, so I thought I'd give it a shot. Basically the idea is to assign books or characters to each instrument in an orchestra. Being both a book and music nerd, this seemed like fun.

Conductor
a character likely to mastermind an evil plan

I think I have to agree with Kaz Brekker from the Six of Crows/Crooked Kingdom duology. However, he IS a criminal mastermind, so I feel like he's a little bit too easy of an answer for my liking.

I think given time and purpose, Atticus O'Sullivan from the Iron Druid series by Kevin Hearne is a good choice. He's good-ish but with the morals of someone that's always playing the long game. If he had to, he could plan one hell of an evil plan.

Violin
a popular book you enjoyed

The Martian, man. Hands down one of the best audiobooks I've ever listened to. It's amazingly fun and funny and boy does it play with your emotions at times. I was STOKED that this book got the following it did. And the movie I feel was just as awesome. Probably one of the movies that most closely follows the book I've seen in a really long time. Excellently done.

Cello
a rich, nuanced character

Eleanor from Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell. I think she's a heartbreaking, heartwrenching character. Both she and Park are just wonderful characters because of the richness of their stories.

Viola
an overlooked book

So I don't keep up with booktube much anymore, or a lot of YA book talk. But I tell you what from what I have seen, people fucking slept on Afterworlds by Scott Westerfeld. The concept and the execution were so well done. It's a book within a book and it's a BIG book but when I finished it, I immediately wanted more.

Oboe
a book with an unusual premise

Oh this is so easy. This is my favorite book like... ever. Seriously. And boy it's a strange one, but hands-down, my favorite story. Palimpsest by Catherynne M. Valente.

Now, people are generally either a BIG fan of how Valente writes, or they hate it with a passion. So if you're not a fan of lyrical poetry type writing, this isn't for you. But I urge you to try the audiobook instead anyway because I feel like the narrator does such a good job of making all of the prose just fade behind the characters enough to help you understand everything that's happening.

The tl;dr of Palimpsest is that certain people have these tattoos of specific parts of a city. If you have this tattoo you can travel to this city in your dreams. Some people hate it, some people chase the ability to get there. The book follows four characters in and out of the city of Palimpsest and the reasons they do or don't want to be there. AGH so good.

Clarinet
a versatile book you’d recommend to anyone

I'm now realizing how many books I love that have complicated story points, or time travel or confusing themes. Hm.

Okay how about this. Attachments by Rainbow Rowell. (I knew I'd end up with more than one of her books on here.) It's a book about two friends who work together in a normal corporate type work environment and send messages and emails back and forth to each other throughout the day. You only get bits of their lives through these messages because you're reading them as someone else in the office. It's really good.

Flute
a character who stands out from the rest

Miriam Black. From the series by Chuck Wendig. I've never loved an anti-hero as much as I've loved this drinking, smoking, swearing asshole of a woman. But I do.

Trumpets
a talked-about book on your TBR

I've seen a lot of people talking about Angel of the Blockade by Alex Wells. So that's on my list of things to grab real soon like. Also Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi because if you're on tumblr AT ALL, you've seen the post about her and her books go by at least once.

Horn
a historical book

Susannah Morrow by Megan Chance. It's an older book now, but boy if you like stories about the Salem Witch Trials, this is a really great story. Second runner up is also an older book but The Burning Times by Jeanne Kalogridis is also another story about a woman during a really anti-witch time period. Thanks, Inquisition.

Tuba
a book which strongly informs how you are as a person

ooooh. Reverse order maybe from newest (to me) to oldest. 
If I hadn't already used Palimpsest, I'd put it here.

But instead this: As a teenager The Midnight Club by Christopher Pike really meant a lot to me. I still go back and read it often because it packs a really good emotional punch that is somehow comforting to me as an adult. Sati (also by Christopher Pike) is one of his adult books, but it holds a similar place in my heart.

However if you want to go way, way, way back. Little Bear by Else Holmelund Minarik and illustrated by Maurice Sendak has a really solid place in my heart.

Timpani
a book which finished with a bang

The end of Feed by Mira Grant fucked me right up.

Piano
a very long book

Here's a non-fiction book for you. The Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson is a really funny and informative book about well... everything. I highly recommend the audiobook (read by Bill Bryson himself) if you want to tear into this. But I've shared this with everyone I think, as it was once shared with me, because it's just so, so good. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nailed It: pure distilled schadenfreude in a 30 minute baking show

Pacific Rim: Uprising spoiler-free review

Tomb Raider 2018; no-spoiler review except this spoiler: I loved it