Supergirl -- For the Girl Who Has Everything

I know I'm behind on this, but I just finished binging the first season of Supergirl. I've been a Superman fan since I was a little kid watching old black and white George Reeves' Superman reruns with my dad. I grew up with reruns of Helen Slater's Supergirl. I had a poster for Superman IX on my wall; I pretty much loved everything about Christopher Reeves' Superman -- still do. I loved Lois & Clark, but didn't like Smallville. Really, I've seen all the Superman stuff because I love him as a character so much. Sure, in the comics he was often a dick but he was also kind and friendly and humorous. 

Supergirl, specifically the way Melissa Benoist plays her, reminds me a great deal of the Christopher Reeves movies. Reminds me of why I like Superman so much. They're not perfect people. They sure aren't perfect humans. Not perfect heroes.

But they take joy in saving people and not as some god-complexed savior of mankind (although I'll admit Superman has been written that way more than once), but because they WANT to use the abilities they have on Earth for good. They want to keep people safe, to be useful, and ultimately, to belong. Kara, more than Clark, is a great example of this because of her story. Because she was older when Krypton died, and she was sent with the purpose of watching Kal-El (who was only a baby), she not only remembers home but she remembers her purpose.

Kara left Krypton expecting to be a protector.

She came to Earth to find that Kal-El already was one.

Watching the first few episodes -- which are not about her coming into her power as Superman's stories so often begin, but fully embracing her powers and her purpose.

There's a joy that comes from finding something you're good at and leaning into it completely. And I love that about Supergirl.

It also really helps that she, like Clark, find a lot of joy in the ingenuity and earnestness of humans. It's not condescension, it's pride.

And I love that.

I'm starting season two, and I've seen a lot of what tumblr likes about the second season but I'm looking forward to watching it for myself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nailed It: pure distilled schadenfreude in a 30 minute baking show

Pacific Rim: Uprising spoiler-free review

Tomb Raider 2018; no-spoiler review except this spoiler: I loved it