My Desk is a Wonderland

I really dislike having a boring desk at work. I have to actually WORK there for 8+ hours a day, every now and again I like looking around at my work area and finding something that'll make me smile. And let's be honest, Funko Pop figures have sort of changed the whole game when it comes to desk or cube decoration. Here's my basic set up:

From L to R: Loki (from the first Thor movie, Superman, Maleficent, La Muerta & Harley Quinn.
In front is a smaller lip balm Maleficent.

If you think it's odd that picture has more than one Maleficent in it, you don't know me very well. There's always at least one near me at all times (except the bathrooms -- someday that might change). I'll have to go into my love for Maleficent another day. Anyway, yes. I purposefully arranged them in a villain, hero, villain, hero format. To look around my cube there's a few other smaller figures: a wendigo (the Hannibal Wendigo specifically from the ended-too-soon tv show), the evil queen (Grimhilde) from Snow White, and a Riddler.

Today, I remembered that when I switched cubes at the office, I'd stashed a smaller Doctor Who and a dalek figure in a cabinet and never put him out again. He's one of my favorites (and a non-pop figure). It's a figure of Ten and when he was on my desk before I made a bunch of cut out word bubbles with quotes from the seasons with David Tennant. These were a little like mood reflectors for me, I could change them out depending on how I was feeling in the morning. So I pulled them out today, found as many of the word bubbles as I could and set him back on a shelf near me.

The day suddenly felt 100% more manageable, because I could look up at him and laugh when I needed too. "It goes ding when there's stuff!" is one my favorite Who quotes maybe ever because it's so completely absurdist. It never fails to make me smile. The episode it's from, Blink, while giving us one of modern Who's most memorable villains, the Weeping Angels, also gave us the really adorable romance between Billy and Sally. And it's one of the rare episodes where the Doctor isn't really the main character -- and it still works to give fans a really compelling story. I'm all for those. Much like I still can't hear ELO's "Mr Blue Sky" without thinking of the episode, Love and Monsters.

As I was putting Ten back up on the shelf I realized how much comfort I put into my cube so that there's something enjoyable pretty much anywhere I look. I took a few extra pictures to show off how packed with stuff I keep my cube. And yet, I managed to forget to photograph the biggest, most noticeable thing about my cube decorations. It doesn't have a name but I know for a fact that people use it as a landmark in the sea of cubes on my side of the floor. So it's pretty special. I'll have to talk about it another day too.

I think I'm pretty lucky to be able to deck out my desk area as much as I do -- not everyone has more than maybe a family picture or two in their work area. But personally, I think it's how I make it through really tough days. It's not just boring family pictures, it's the pictures that'll make me laugh, it's the gifts from friends or family that make me smile.

Do you have an area at work that you can decorate? What do you -- or would you -- put in it to keep you going?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nailed It: pure distilled schadenfreude in a 30 minute baking show

Pacific Rim: Uprising spoiler-free review

Tomb Raider 2018; no-spoiler review except this spoiler: I loved it