Jessica Jones Season 2 -- AKA I'm not sure how I feel about it

I managed to finish Jessica Jones Season 2 tonight and as the title might suggest, I'm not really sure how I feel about it. I didn't watch The Defenders (maybe I'll get back to it, but it's not a priority) so I'm not sure how well any of it ties in, or doesn't, to what happened there. Although I feel like it's probably pretty stand-alone from it, given that the only real ties I saw/heard in season two related to Jeri.

For a pretty spoiler-free review I can say that I both enjoyed Jessica's progression in this season and what the focus was for her with Kilgrave out of the picture. I can also say that it's pretty freaking cool that they employed female-only directors for Season 2, however there was also a long way they could've gone to improve some of their diversity issues. Black women specifically got an unfair shake on screen and in ways that absolutely could've gone any direction. It's not enough to cast black actors, there's no excuse from writers not to be more cognizant of the roles those actors will be playing and what it'll look like on screen.



What I'm not really happy about (again in a way that's the most spoiler-free I can make it) is the direction they took Trish in this season. I understand the progression from her interests in the first season that this is one of the directions that could've gone. But, I felt it was really predictable in the beginning of season two and by the end, it was tiring and played out. To be a little more specific that'll only be spoilery once you get a few episodes into the season -- I really hate that she gets rewarded for that, even if we don't see it explicitly by the end of the season, it obvious enough.

One of the other things that's sort of holding back my complete enthusiasm for the season as a whole is the very cyclical nature of the arguments that start to happen in every episode about half-way in as Jessica makes the biggest discovery of the season. I don't have to say what it is to say that the way she talks herself in and out, or other people talk her in and out of the same decision in almost every episode gets old fast. And then to have the decision taken out of her hands entirely by the end of the season, undid part of the work of the first season. I get the character choice that was made and what that could set up for a third season, but it didn't have to go that way. It could've ended a dozen other ways and season three wouldn't suffer for opportunities to rehash the outcome.

I'm not really going to address Jeri's story line. I feel the same way about the whole season as I feel about her story. I do like Carrie Ann Moss as an actress though and I really feel like she and Robin Wright and she need to have some show where they play high-powered lesbians with great hair and expensive clothes. Or just give me some President Claire Underwood/Supreme Court Justice Jeryn Hogarth fanfic and I'd be good.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nailed It: pure distilled schadenfreude in a 30 minute baking show

Pacific Rim: Uprising spoiler-free review

Tomb Raider 2018; no-spoiler review except this spoiler: I loved it