Trying for Joyful; I've Got This Round by Mamrie Hart

I've Got This Round by Mamrie Hart
Recently I finished reading I've Got This Round by Mamrie Hart, a popular YouTuber. This is her second book and in both her first one, You Deserve a Drink and this one, she shares humorous personal stories about her life. In her first book many of her wacky adventures can be written off by her youth, or her drinking, or both. In the second, the stories all take place within the two years since her previous book. So she's older and more successful than before but her stories don't feel that different. She's still telling stories about wacky adventures that don't sound much like she's changed.

But really this isn't a review for her book. (Or it kind of is, and it's kind of more.)

I mean, if you like her or her humor, read it. She's an engaging writer and you'll find her new round of stories fun and on-brand. I just don't think it's for everyone, which I'm sure even she understands.

However, reading it did get me thinking. Mostly because I recognize how strange it can be to read the stories of people that have more money or time or influence. When they do crazy things like purchasing tickets to Paris, or going on a cruise all on a whim, it's hard to imagine yourself in their place.

Mamrie is a person in a uncommon position of privilege. Her status as an influencer and as a YouTuber personality grants her opportunities the rest of us don't get. So connecting to stories about being fabulous places where she can drink and have fun adventures, is difficult.

Here though, is where I started thinking about what else her stories have in common, and where it's not necessary to read her book to grasp the concept.

This about finding the joy in things. What she does is say "yes" to new opportunities. She reaches out to friends and loved ones to share in her adventures. Sometimes, when life is hard or we don't feel good, this is the sort of thing it's hard to do.

I find it difficult to lean in to new experiences.

And that's the thing I found most often in her stories. Sometimes there would be a turning point... that moment where it'd be really easy to kick back. Sure, I find a day at home with video games or movies enjoyable. I'm a homebody and an introvert and once I'm in comfy clothes it's hard to get me out of the house. But this isn't just about getting out of the house. This is about getting out of a comfort zone.

Sort of like I talked about in my post about going to Omaha recently. I was there for a purpose - to see my favorite poet. But several times I tried to talk myself out of it. I tried to avoid going by myself somewhere fancy for dinner. In the end, I had an extremely enjoyable dinner and saw a great show.

I think reading this book was a little reminder that it's worth it sometimes to push yourself a little more. And it's doesn't have to be big moments either. It could be saying yes to little things, like singing loudly in your car, or inviting someone to have lunch with you at work. I've also been considering how easy it is to hide the things we're passionate about.

There's a story Mamrie tells about going on the Backstreet Boys cruise. And I couldn't help but admire the joy in that story. Not only do she and her friend just completely lean in to enjoy the shit out of that cruise as best they can, but there's a whole cruise ship full of women doing the same thing. Sure, maybe their all there for different reasons but if you're buying tickets to the Backstreet Boys cruise, you've really embraced your love for that band. And I kind of love that.

We talk a lot about this kind of idea in fandom circles; how not to yuck someone else's yum, and letting people enjoy the things they enjoy whether it be a certain type of story or character or art. I think there's more to that we can apply to just every day life. Being present for the things we love and opening ourselves up to opportunities to love more stuff.

Really it's part of why I wanted to do this blog, or any blog again. I'm a huge fan of video games, comics, music... and it's fun to be able to talk about them more, or share them to people who might not otherwise know about them. So, I'm really trying to embrace that whole concept of being present for the joy I have in the things and people I love, and being open or confident enough to do it even more.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nailed It: pure distilled schadenfreude in a 30 minute baking show

Pacific Rim: Uprising spoiler-free review

Tomb Raider 2018; no-spoiler review except this spoiler: I loved it