Where and how do you run?

This is one of those sort of doomsday/apocalypse kind of thoughts. But due to some of the story in Jessica Jones, I've been thinking about how and where I would run if the worst happened. Like if you ABSOLUTELY have to go somewhere because your personal FBI guy decides to turn you in or you commit a crime you want to get away from or there's a super-villain after you (or a superhero, who am I to dictate what kind of super you want to be).... whatever, we all have our reasons.

Specifically, I'm talking about the sort of running where technology works against you and where continuing to use your own identity is not an option.


Where do you go and how do you get there? I'm pretty much of the thought that in this day and age, the average joe has no real choice but the streets in a major metropolitan city. I mean, it's sort of the sad conclusion of modern society that it's easiest to hide in a crowd of people that people actively look away from. 

There's someone in season two of Jessica Jones that she goes to for fake identification more than once and I couldn't help but think how unrealistic that is. I don't know, maybe in New York City everyone knows someone who knows a guy that can get you a new identity. But that's not the case in the suburbs, or for normal people. Not too mention, even if that is a plausible option because somehow you know someone, unless they owe you a really big favor that shit isn't cheap. And if you're about to run, every cent counts. 

You can't rent rooms anywhere without id, or travel and even buying things in cash is a tricky proposition if it's expensive enough. And then, for funsies, pretend you're starting this new life with no cash whatsoever. For whatever reason you can't grab any before you leave, there's nothing left to take, or you didn't have any to begin with. Maybe you can scrounge up a few dollars but that's not going to last long. 

With some time maybe you can grab things to sell before you leave. Or maybe there's something on you worth selling. Chances of having something expensive enough to sell on me at any given time is pretty low. Unless pawn shops have started dealing in lipstick (because usually that's all I have on me at any time of any value), I'm sort of out of luck.

These thoughts haven't really gone anywhere -- I live the sort of life where I'm more likely to need to run from a zombie apocalypse than some sort of hitman, but it's an interesting thought experiment anyway. And not completely without its uses. Knowing where the nearest libraries, soup kitchens, domestic shelters or homeless shelters are in your town or city is pretty useful. In cities where public transportation isn't a priority for suburban neighborhoods figuring out where the nearest bus stops are and what it costs, is also good information. 

My neighborhood for instance has a bus stop but it would take me a bunch of stops and changes to get anywhere useful, I'd have better luck walking toward downtown. But then I'd have to consider the best time to make that walk, on flat land anyone walking on the road is easily spotted... I'd be better served trying to float down the river and that has its own host of issues. 

No plan is perfect. But I'm curious what other people have come up with, if anything. Have you ever considered what it would take for you to run without money or technology? And where would you go?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nailed It: pure distilled schadenfreude in a 30 minute baking show

Pacific Rim: Uprising spoiler-free review

Tomb Raider 2018; no-spoiler review except this spoiler: I loved it